Training at Home…

Front Page Forums Complete Shotokan Karate Training at Home…

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    zvolencan1
    Participant

Hi, I have a question about One Step #1 in yellow to green belt DVD. When Sensei Jon is doing the reverse punch, he brings his left hand to the side, but in the Breakdown of this One Step he leaves his hand up, still blocking the attacker’s hand. So which variation should I use? I think bringing the hand to the side gives the body more torque, thus more power to the punch, also the left hand is now ready for another move, so I guess this variation might be better, but I want to be sure. Thank you.

Jon Hodge
    Keymaster
    zvolencan1
    Participant

Thank you very much, you actually surprised me, thinking about One Steps as a flexible tool, that’s something completely new for me, and it’s actually amazing to see all the possibilities now. The key is, as you said, to make the individual moves automated, so that I can improvise according to situation. Thank you again.

zvolencan1
    Participant

Hi,
    I have a question about stance used in One Steps #1 in green to green stripe DVD. Is that a back stance, when Sensei Jon does the knife hand block? He doesn’t mention it in Breakdown, so I just want to be sure. Thank you.

Jon Hodge
    Keymaster

You have to adjust your stances in a live situation. The stance should be a back stance however you have to adjust for distance and angle of attack.

zvolencan1
    Participant

I apologize for another maybe trivial question, Sensei Jon, but I would like to know what is that move you do with your right hand in One Step #3 (green to green stripe)? You actually grab your opponent’s hand, after you turn and step back? Or is that a variation on outside-in block? Thank you in advance.

Jon Hodge
    Keymaster

That is a sweeping palm block, and if I need to I cup the hand or grab to maintain control before the kick.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.