The one and only officially recognized white to black bo training style. Ultimate Bo is rooted from Okinawan Kobudo movements, but with a modernized, freestyle styling. In the freestyle bo portion of the course, you will learn bo techniques (sweeps, thrusts, spins, stances, combos) and forms/katas. In the sparring bo portion, you will practice a small assortment of combat bo strikes, blocks, and sparring theory. Ultimate Bo uses a unique “chevron” ranking system, which allows you to wear your UB rank as chevron patches on the sleeve of your gi, while wearing to belt rank of your core martial art (such as karate). Ultimate Bo training also builds a student’s cardiovascular system, arm strength, coordination, and weapons extension understanding.
- Learn and master this ancient Japanese weapon at home, with the world-leading bo staff home study course.
- Includes a complete white to black belt level course of study, teaching: strikes, blocks, stances, grips, combat positions, defenses, sparring, katas, and more.
- Get a new 30 minute complete bo follow-along class every two weeks!
- Earn real rank in this style of bojutsu through video testing, and instructor feedback from Sensei Michael Hodge.
- More than 1,000 students have trained in Ultimate Bo since launching the online course in 2008.
Your Ultimate Bo student membership includes the entire white to black chevron video curriculum. Ultimate Bo uses a special ranking system, the chevron patch, which you place on the sleeve of your gi. This allows you to wear your belt from a traditional style (if you have one), and show your UB rank.
- Introduction to Ultimate Bo: History of Ultimate Bo, The Training Sections, Selecting a Bo, Size of Bo
- Traditional Techniques: Grips, Stances, Overhead Front Strike, 4 Points, Basic Thrusts, Uppercut, Overhead Strikes, Blocks
- Bo Kata 1: Full Speed, Section-by-section instruction, front follow along, back follow along
- Combat: Fighting Grips, Stances and Positions
- Traditional Techniques: Sweep, Bo Back Fist, Down Thrust, Baseball Bat, Double Figure 8, Double-Double
- Bo Kata 2: Full Speed, Section-by-section instruction, front follow along, back follow along
- Combat: Striking Angles #1-8, High Block, Low Block, Side Block
- Traditional Techniques: Sweep Overhead Front Strike, Reverse Uppercut, Reverse Sweep Uppercut, 3 Points, 6 Point Combo, Spinning Overhead Strikes
- Bo Kata 3: Full Speed, Section-by-section instruction, front follow along, back follow along
- Combat: Speed Strikes, Body Targets, Parrying
- Traditional Techniques: Sweep, Batting Stance, Reverse Poke
- Bo Kata 4: Full Speed, Section-by-section instruction, front follow along, back follow along
- Combat: Thrusts, Back Strikes, Inside-Out Block, Fiore’s Block
- Traditional Techniques: One Arm Curl, Advancing Poke, Skip Overhead Front Strike
- Bo Kata 5: Full Speed, Section-by-section instruction, front follow along, back follow along
- Combat: Long Hold Strikes, Reverse Hold Strikes, Combat Point Sparring
- Traditional Techniques: Forearm Roll, Wushu Poke, One Handed Figure 8 Strike, 360 Overhead Around Back
- Bo Kata 6: Full Speed, Section-by-section instruction, front follow along, back follow along
- Combat: Sparring Methods (Aspects of Time, Distance, Position), Bo vs. Other Weapons
Our full length classes make it just like coming to Sensei Michael’s dojo and learning in person. Each class includes a warm up, technique lessons, unique drills, conditioning, and a cool down. Simply press play and follow along from start to finish. Great to do alone, with a partner, or a small group.
The classes keep you consistent, motivated, and always progressing toward the goal of black chevron.
You will receive a fresh new class every two weeks!
As an enrolled Ultimate Bo student, you get real support and guidance directly from the head instructor, Sensei Michael Hodge.
You can message your instructor when you have questions about techniques, training, or if you just need some guidance. You can also ask a question directly on any lesson or class page to get a response.
You can log all training sessions in your Student Journal for the instructor to see, review, and comment on. This allows you to be held accountable. You can also upload a video of yourself for review.
When you submit a rank exam, Sensei Michael will do a complete grading of the exam, and film his own personal feedback video for you, with tips, corrections, and useful feedback.
Michael Hodge is the founder of Ultimate Training and also the weapons style Ultimate Bo. Michael has been studying the martial arts since age seven and has earned a 3rd degree black belt in shotokan karate and song moo kwan. He is well-known for his weapons training and instruction, most notably with the Bo. He has taught thousands of classes as an instructor in his own dojo, and his father’s dojo in the last 10 years, and now currently works with his home study students from around the globe. His goal is to help others reach their full potential.
Global Martial Arts University Ultimate Bo Course
- Complete White – Black Chevron Curriculum Videos
- All HD videos filmed in our new studio
- New Full-Length Class Every 2 Weeks
- Official Student Enrollment
- Anytime Instructor Support
- Rank Testing
- Certified Instructor Testing
- Course Updates + New Material
30 Days Free then $19.95/month
I bought the course for my son and myself for Christmas. I was pretty excited so I cracked it open a couple weeks before Christmas. I popped the tapes in and started my lessons with a wood curtain rod in my garage. I really enjoy the physical challenge as well as the zen feeling I got when I am working with the staff and your course. I was enjoying the course so much I decided to purchase a few staffs for myself my son and my daughter. I have been a physical education teacher for fourteen years and I quickly realized that your course would be great for my entire family. I am a huge believer that physical fitness is imperative in holistic well being. My initial intention was to learn a few spins with the staff and have some fun with my son. Your course has inspired me in many ways. It has been a catalyst in striving for better overall fitness in my life. I have also decided to go for a black belt rank in the staff and possibly explore other martial arts such as Krav Maga.
I want to thank you for the hard work you put into your courses. It is evident that you have the true heart of a teacher. I would highly recommend your courses to anyone who would like to study martial arts. Thanks for your kind words and inspiration. I am looking forward to my journey to a black belt ranking.
– Tim Spinosa
He makes everything so easy, and it is! with the awesome instructions he supplies you. I highly recommend these DVD’s and all the others he has to offer. Excellent for the Beginner and advanced. I had also bought the Ultimate Karate 8 DVD set, you need to have these too, You will be amazed how well everything is explained and shown to you, and at a speed you can easily learn too. I had bought others before I found these and I will not shop anywhere else to add to my collection.
I purchased bo staff training videos from your web site and I love them because you actually show how to move the bo, how to step, and you give names to the moves that are being taught. The teaching method of slowing everything down so I can follow step by step makes the bo a very workable weapon for my training. You are a very good instructor because you bring clarity to the lesson and that is important. I also like how you perform the same moves in different positions so I can follow along, this really makes the bo easy to learn. Thanks so much for all that you do sir!
– Lydia Rambo