The one and only officially recognized white to black bo training style. Ultimate Bo is rooted from Okinawan Kobudo movements, but with a modernized, freestyle styling. In the freestyle bo portion of the course, you will learn bo techniques (sweeps, thrusts, spins, stances, combos) and forms/katas. In the sparring bo portion, you will practice a small assortment of combat bo strikes, blocks, and sparring theory. Ultimate Bo uses a unique “chevron” ranking system, which allows you to wear your UB rank as chevron patches on the sleeve of your gi, while wearing to belt rank of your core martial art (such as karate). Ultimate Bo training also builds a student’s cardiovascular system, arm strength, coordination, and weapons extension understanding.
- Learn and master this ancient Japanese weapon at home, with the world-leading bo staff home study course.
- Includes a complete white to black belt level course of study, teaching: strikes, blocks, stances, grips, combat positions, defenses, sparring, katas, and more.
- Get a new 30 minute complete bo follow-along class every two weeks!
- Earn real rank in this style of bojutsu through video testing, and instructor feedback from Sensei Michael Hodge.
- More than 1,000 students have trained in Ultimate Bo since launching the online course in 2008.
Your Ultimate Bo student membership includes the entire white to black chevron video curriculum. Ultimate Bo uses a special ranking system, the chevron patch, which you place on the sleeve of your gi. This allows you to wear your belt from a traditional style (if you have one),and show your UB rank.
- Introduction to Ultimate Bo: History of Ultimate Bo, The Training Sections, Selecting a Bo, Size of Bo
- Traditional Techniques: Grips, Stances, Overhead Front Strike, 4 Points, Basic Thrusts, Uppercut, Overhead Strikes, Blocks
- Bo Kata 1: Full Speed, Section-by-section instruction, front follow along, back follow along
- Combat: Fighting Grips, Stances and Positions
- Traditional Techniques: Sweep, Bo Back Fist, Down Thrust, Baseball Bat, Double Figure 8, Double-Double
- Bo Kata 2: Full Speed, Section-by-section instruction, front follow along, back follow along
- Combat: Striking Angles #1-8, High Block, Low Block, Side Block
- Traditional Techniques: Sweep Overhead Front Strike, Reverse Uppercut, Reverse Sweep Uppercut, 3 Points, 6 Point Combo, Spinning Overhead Strikes
- Bo Kata 3: Full Speed, Section-by-section instruction, front follow along, back follow along
- Combat: Speed Strikes, Body Targets, Parrying
- Traditional Techniques: Sweep, Batting Stance, Reverse Poke
- Bo Kata 4: Full Speed, Section-by-section instruction, front follow along, back follow along
- Combat: Thrusts, Back Strikes, Inside-Out Block, Fiore’s Block
- Traditional Techniques: One Arm Curl, Advancing Poke, Skip Overhead Front Strike
- Bo Kata 5: Full Speed, Section-by-section instruction, front follow along, back follow along
- Combat: Long Hold Strikes, Reverse Hold Strikes, Combat Point Sparring
- Traditional Techniques: Forearm Roll, Wushu Poke, One Handed Figure 8 Strike, 360 Overhead Around Back
- Bo Kata 6: Full Speed, Section-by-section instruction, front follow along, back follow along
- Combat: Sparring Methods (Aspects of Time, Distance, Position),Bo vs. Other Weapons
Our full length classes make it just like coming to Sensei Michael’s dojo and learning in person. Each class includes a warm up, technique lessons, unique drills, conditioning, and a cool down. Simply press play and follow along from start to finish. Great to do alone, with a partner, or a small group.
The classes keep you consistent, motivated, and always progressing toward the goal of black chevron.
You will receive a fresh new class every two weeks!
As an enrolled Ultimate Bo student, you get real support and guidance directly from the head instructor, Sensei Michael Hodge.
You can message your instructor when you have questions about techniques, training, or if you just need some guidance. You can also ask a question directly on any lesson or class page to get a response.
You can log all training sessions in your Student Journal for the instructor to see, review, and comment on. This allows you to be held accountable. You can also upload a video of yourself for review.
When you submit a rank exam, Sensei Michael will do a complete grading of the exam, and film his own personal feedback video for you, with tips, corrections, and useful feedback.
Michael Hodge is the founder of Ultimate Training and also the weapons style Ultimate Bo. Michael has been studying the martial arts since age seven and has earned a 3rd degree black belt in shotokan karate and song moo kwan. He is well-known for his weapons training and instruction, most notably with the Bo. He has taught thousands of classes as an instructor in his own dojo, and his father’s dojo in the last 10 years, and now currently works with his home study students from around the globe. His goal is to help others reach their full potential.
GMAU Ultimate Bo Student Membership
- Complete White – Black Chevron Curriculum Videos
- All HD videos filmed in our new studio
- New Full-Length Class Every 2 Weeks
- Official Student Enrollment
- Anytime Instructor Support
- Rank Testing
- Certified Instructor Testing
- Course Updates + New Material
30 Days Free then $19.95/month
Ultimate Bo Home Study Course
- Complete White – Black Chevron Curriculum Videos
- 6 Home Training Classes
- 13.5+ Hours of HD Instructional Videos
- Home Study Manual (.pdf)
- (Optional) Enroll as an Official Student for $59
Streaming Edition - $99
DVD + Streaming Edition - $129
Read Some Real Reviews
Submit your review
This course is exactly what I have been looking for. I don't have a bo yet but will get one very soon.. The videos are laid out superbly and have learned so much already. I can't wait to get started on this.
Clearly these are the best dvds I have ever seen over 30 years of watching MA training videos. They are professionally filmed, with detail, slow speed and from different angles for effective and effecient learning. Michael Hodge is articulate, knowledgeable, smart and a true bo master. He has trully paid the price for our benefit. The price is very conservative for what you get. I have finally found a system for bo training that will allow me to accomplish my goals at 64. I will only use this system for my bo training. My opinion is the new ultimate bo system by Michael is better than private training because: professional, detail, angles, articulate training from a true bo master and finally you can watch them over and over to master technique. Thank you Michael
I have to say the new Bo course is way better then the old one, even though it is still good. The new Bo course has information on there that the old one didn't have, like information on what type of Bo to use and more. The Katas, look easier to learn, I personally had a hard time with the old one on the katas, I also like that it is broken down into sections, which make it easier to learn. Plus the new Bo course has a follow along class and a combat Bo section as well. Good job Sensei Michael Hodge.
I really enjoy the Ultimate BO Course. The DVD's are very professional looking and the curriculum is second to none. If you are looking to learn the BO staff and how to implement it in sparring and self-defense than you want find a better program out there. I am currently enrolled in the Global Martial Arts University that Sensei Michael Hodge offers and I would recommend that to anybody looking to learn Ultimate BO also. I bought the DVD"s for a gift for someone who was wanting to learn the BO staff. I would also like to say that I recommend that anyone wanting to learn weapons or martial arts at their home to take the time to go to the Global Martial Arts University website and check out all that Sensei Michael Hodge has to offer.
I cannot express how much I enjoy being a part of Black Belt at Home.when looking out for courses and material to improve my nunchakus skills and just generally learn weaponry, I came across this site. I was originally sketchy at first, simply because they was offering online ranking. However, it looked much more promising than other places that were offering martial arta DVDs so I thought I'd try it. Originally I tried nunchuks, and was pleasantly satisfied about the speed of delivery on the training materials, as well as the quality behind Michael Hodge's (grading) feedback and the quickness and professionalism during communications. I quickly purchased the original Bo Dvds and Krav shortly to widen my training. It wasn't until GMAU where I fully made use of the training offered by Sensei Michael Hodge in Bo. Here in GMAU I have found the quality of the training videos to be of very high standards. Michael clearly explains each move in detail, clarity and in various angles and speeds which is helpful for home study students. He also has many classes which are delivered with home study students in mind, highly beneficial. I have obtained my yellow chevron rank in Bo, which was only possible due to the very good and quick feedback loop. I was not successful on my first attempt of the rank exam, but found the feedback to be very informative, personal and informative, which is very useful for progress as he clearly outlines next steps needed for improvement. This also show how this program is not a case of "purchase this course for instant black belt" situation and you know you earnt each level. I am honoured to take part of my Martial arts journey under Sensei Michael Hodge, whom I know cares very deeply for his students.
This is the first time that I have ever tried any sort of distance learning so I was a bit skeptical when we ordered the DVDs but that all changed when I got started. The material is excellent and very helpful. It is clear that Sensei Michael has a genuine interest in helping his students develop. We are excited about going through the process! Thank you Sensei Michael!!
I believe that these video's is an excellent way to to train and expand your knowledge. These videos are put together in a manner which makes it easy to learn.The feed back after testing allows a person to improve in the areas that are needed.
With my unpredictable schedule, keeping a weekly or monthly commitment isn't really practical. I've been looking for something to teach me on my own schedule and the Ultimate Bo series fits that perfectly.
Being new to martial arts, I needed something that would start from the beginning. Each lesson is broken up into clear and concise steps making it easy to memorize the forms. I purchased the digital copies which made it easy to put on my phone so I can train on the go.
Thank you, Michael Hodge, for keeping me on track! The one down side to training on your own is not being held accountable, but I really feel like you guys care about my progress, so thank you!
If you are tired of piecing together random instructions from Youtube, and you are ready to get serious about learning this stuff, these videos are required!