Bo Form 1

Front Page Forums Ultimate Bo Bo Form 1

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    whitebeltagain
    Participant

Here we can post questions about Bo Form 1 and have a discussion.

Dennis Miller
    Participant

This is cool.
    I tried a while ago to post a question about this form but the ‘submit’button was hidden at that time (now it’s big and red and can’t be missed).
    I emailed Mr. Hodge and he replied.
    I’ll put my question and his response here:

Question:
    I have two questions about the form, Bo Form 1.

I like the first block.
    But I would like to know what the purpose is of standing on one leg while blocking.
    I’ve came up with two possibilities:

1) It’s there to engage the practitioners mind more fully at the beginning of the form as well as increase balance.
    and or
    2) Getting the standing leg out of the way of a sweep from an opponent.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

I’ve done moves in forms for years without knowing what it was for and still enjoyed the process. When I did learn what that odd little move was for, it made the form that much better.

Section 2 and 3 right before horse stance there’s a overhead knee strike. Then up to horse stance…
    Then move the bo in half circle up to rib level. Is that move just to re-position the bo so the over head rib strike is more level? Or is it also a strike in itself?

I’ll probably have a lot of other little questions along the way.

Thank you in advance.

Reply:
    The angle block is more about your second guess, dodging an incoming low line attack from the “right side/back side”…and then immediately turning back to that attacker with a strong overhead rib strike.

The “circle up” is a power/preparation move, that allows us to then deliver a much more well aligned overhead rib strike sequence. It is a transitional move. There are moves in kata that are not inherently offensive or defense, but designed to re-collect our energy, before an explosive sequence. This is one of those.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.