Dynamic and static stretching

Front Page Forums Complete Shotokan Karate Dynamic and static stretching

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    choci
    Participant

Hi all. I am a trainee KIMAX RADICAL FITNESS instructor. Kimax is Boxing, Muay Thai and karate high intensity cardiovascular workout using heavy bags for 7 rounds of 4 minutes. I alternate static with dynamic stretches in between rounds and I have found that my students as well as my flexibility has improved. I always start with dynamic stretches first. What are other peoples thoughts?

• This topic was modified 8 years, 9 months ago by choci.
    GMAU
    Keymaster

That’s interesting. I just checked out Kimax and Radical Fitness, I had never heard of that organization. I usually recommend dynamic stretches at the beginning of a workout, and then static at the end. This seems to be pretty well agreed upon. In your situation of 7 rounds, it seems that you should use dynamic stretches after each round, and then a final set of static stretches after the seventh round. This will keep the heart rate up, blood flowing, and allow for some recovery between rounds. That is just what I would do, but I would love to hear other ideas!

Magis
    Participant

Growing up it was always the same old static stretch before and after practice (football, track, etc.) Once I got into college, we were introduced to the concept of dynamic stretching during our freshman year of track. I really felt a nice benefit from this practice, and my legs felt fresh for most of the workout versus feeling tired before practice after multiple static stretching holds. Since then, I’ve seemed to benefit in my traditional martial arts and mixed martial arts training by combining the two types of stretching. I will usually start with some jump roping or light jogging or martial arts based movements for a few minutes as a warm up, and then utilize dynamic stretching in between training circuits/rounds. As a cool down, I will do some hard core static stretching, try to hit the splits and head to knees hamstring stretches, etc. This seems to have worked well for me, and I’ve seemed to avoid some of the more basic injuries people incur: pulls, tears, cramping up, etc. It seems pretty similar to what Choci has been doing.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.