Why do you train in Krav Maga?

Front Page Forums Total Krav Maga Why do you train in Krav Maga?

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Matt
    Participant

I have decided to start training in Krav Maga for many of the same reasons above and also a couple of other ones. I haven’t trainined martial arts seriously apart from the stint in my early teens when I wanted to be the next Chuck Norris. I have alway been one one those gentle giant types, I have always trained for rugby and am now a highland games thrower so I am a physically imposing dude. Sometimes this can lead to unwanted attention from people who want to look badass for what ever reason and I thought Krav Maga would enable to handle my self better when these situations arise. How ever the real reason I chose Krav Maga was to enable me to have the confidence to stand up for what I think is right and not to live in fear of the darker more violent side of life. I also wanted to add some cross training into my gym work and cardio fitness and might as well learn to defend myself at the same time e.g I have been punching the punching bag for a while now I might as well learn to hit it properly and I also find the active flexbility stuff very interesting as well. I have just started looking through the manual and the first DVD and think that it looks really awesome.

joshua9k
    Participant

As with everyone else here, I am looking to be able to defend myself, my family, and most importantly get and stay in shape. Going to the gym to lift weights or ride the bike just doesn’t capture my attention, but doing this system will. I have been working out at a local gym taking Krav classes for about 2 months now, but due to my work and family schedule it is impossible to attend regularly. Also, since I have arthritis and a fake hip (at just 41, by the way) I need to be able to do a program at my own pace. This program will give me the tools I need to hit my goals, but it is up to me to put in the work.

dasmith8952
    Participant

Probably like many here, I had a difficult time finding a Krav Maga school near me. I have been training in the martial arts for over 35 years and have black belts in several. I briefly had a Krav training class near me many years ago and trained with them briefly before the program closed. I spent many years in the military as an investigator, and then later as a federal agent. During that time I got to put my martial art skills to the test. Unfortunately many of the arts I studied, TKD, Hapkido, etc., did not work very well in law enforcement without modification. We even started teaching a variation of BJJ in law enforcement. I was always against this as an instructor because, although most fights end on the ground, I did not want to be rolling with someone and trying to protect my gun and other weapons at the same time. Or waiting for their buddies to kick me in the back of the head. Then I discovered Krav Maga! I did research and learned that this art was relatively easy to learn. It had to be because it had to be taught to many soldiers and police officers quickly. And it was proven in the field. Now I am combining Krav Maga, BJJ and Pekiti Tirsia Kali, which is a form of Filipino knife and stick fighting. With the 3 of these arts, even at 53 years old, I feel I am a formidable opponent if attacked. I train in Krav and BJJ at a distance AND live.

Cruz
    Participant

Bottom line: Krav Maga provides a realistic and functional self-defense and physical fitness program. Krav’s philosophy from the founder Imi was to continuously refine the techniques to meet the contemporary environment. This reflects in the Krav Maga symbol circle is not closed but open; to dump the bad, and bring in the good.
    Lastly, I train in Krav Maga due the ease in Kinesthetic movements. Whatever age or physical limitations, the movements flow naturally.

Mloewecke
    Participant

I actually just received my distance learning DVD’s yesterday and I am truly excited to be a part of this experience. Krav Maga has always been that one Martial Art that I have always wanted to learn. To me it is one of the most rounded Arts around, and is used for so many reasons. The best bodyguards are sent to Israel for training in Krav Maga at a school located in the heart of the country. Also, to me for self-defense it is the strongest Art to use. I have studied in JKD for seven years now, I have some boxing experience, wrestling, Karate and more. I like to learn different methods to adapt to real life situations. I currently teach self-defense to some friends until I can become certified in Krav Maga and open my own gym. My goal is to change our community, and bring awareness of self-defense to those around me. So for me this is an exciting time!

dasmith8952
    Participant

Welcome. I also take Krav at a local school. People criticize the value of learning by DVD, but I can tell you that with these DVDs I am far ahead of my fellow students.

Mloewecke
    Participant

Thank you for the encouragement and I agree the DVD’s are very thorough. My JKD training has been very similar, and the DVD’s are giving me a lot of added options to what I already know. I always go in with a clean slate expecting to take something away, and to add to what I know.

fredjclaus
    Participant

I’ve been involved in Martial Arts all my life. My first instructor was Pat Johnson. For those of you who don’t know, he was the referee at the end of Karate Kid 1 back in 1984. He was from a small town 5 minutes North of me, so I trained under him for a while. Then I got into KungFu, and Tia Chi, but I wasn’t happy with the way my instructor was teaching me. I only went for a year. I’ve also done a video series from Gracie JuJitsu. Recently however, I was told by my doctor that I was overweight, and had developed Diabetes. He suggested I exercise to loose 40 pounds in order to get my Diabetes under control. I’m not much of an exercise person so I wanted something more.

I decided to get back into martial arts, and really wanted to go back to KungFu but there were no schools for that besides the one I was at and I wasn’t happy with them. Looking at the Blackbelt at Home Tia Chi program, I was interested and then I saw Krav Maga. I felt Krav Maga was a more physical program and that would help me more in the weight loss so I opted to do this instead. Maybe some day I will go back to Tia Chi.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.