Total Krav Maga® is an organized training program, which offers level certifications from yellow belt to black belt (Levels 1-6). TKM itself is not “an offshoot martial arts style”, but rather an organized, standardized training regimen with six levels of understanding. The TKM program is designed to help practitioners learn the strong foundational necessity of stances, blocks, strikes, self defense techniques, awareness, instinctive reactions, groundfighting, knife defense, gun defense, blunt weapon defenses and fitness. The course does not just teach you techniques, but also includes complete Krav Maga follow along classes, and Krav conditioning workouts. These classes include drills, exercises, and ideas for your own home practice. The workouts can be added to your current regimen as a way to get more defense technique repetition, while increasing your cardio endurance. You will have the opportunity to advance in rank via our video testing process, in which you will receive full feedback and instructor support. A training partner is required for advancement in rank at home. The black belt exam must be taken in-person at one of our training centers.
Total Krav Maga
Total Krav Maga® – Distance Training Home Study Course
What You Will Learn:
- All curriculum and rank requirements from Levels 1 – 6. (Yellow – Black Belt)
- Combatives – simple and effective striking counterattacks which have many uses in combat and defensive scenarios. Palm strikes, knees, kicks, hand strikes, head butts, and other movements that will get you out alive.
- Self Defense Techniques – no-nonsense or “memorization” based defenses to the most common attacks: hand chokes, rear naked choke, punches, kicks, grabs, tackles, and more.
- Weapons Defenses – hand gun defenses, stick/blunt weapons, knife, long gun, rope, and other extremely dangerous attacks.
- Ground Defenses – most fights end up on the ground, so we must train and be prepared. You will learn how to fall safely, maintain a proper ground defense position, defend ground strikes and chokes, apply submissions, and quickly get back to your feet while disengaging.
- Conditioning and Fitness – workout with complete fitness routines to improve flexibility, speed, reactions, muscle strength, and overall endurance.
Total Krav Maga recognizes rank advancement with “level certifications”, which can be equated to a color belt. The belt colors are shown as a relative guide to what the rank is equated to. Our home study course is a self-paced program, and can be completed more quickly or slowly depending on your own training intensity, past martial arts experience, and feedback from your grading instructor. We uphold the exact same standards for distance training students, as we do with physical facility students. This means that you will need to work extra-hard, find a training partner, and be totally prepared before each exam.
The exams can be taken via a video rank exam or at one of our training centers. But, the black belt exam must be taken in-person. Upon completing Level 5, your instructor will give you a detailed list of prerequisites and pre-test qualification necessities before a physical test can be scheduled.
Level 1 Certification (yellow belt)
Level 2 Certification (orange belt)
Level 3 Certification (green belt)
Level 4 Certification (blue belt)
Level 5 Certification (brown belt)
Level 6 Certification (advanced brown)
Get Started Now! Choose An Option Below To Learn More
GMAU Krav Maga Student Membership
LVL 1 - LVL 6
- Complete Level 1-6 Curriculum Videos
- New Class Every Week
- Official Student Enrollment
- Anytime Instructor Support
- Rank Testing
- Course Updates + New Material
Total Krav Maga Home Study Course
LVL 1 - LVL 3
- Level 1-3 Curriculum Videos
- Home Study Manual
- Official Student Enrollment
- Instructor Support + Rank Testing
- Online Student Journal + Student Forums
DVD + Streaming Edition – $149
Streaming Edition – $129
Which Krav Maga system or style is this?
The truth is, this is based off of “Krav Maga,” and not some sub-segment style. The curriculum you will learn in this course originally comes from the founder of Krav Maga and the Israeli military forces. Since Krav Maga is an open style, with the ability for constant evolution, there are some “personal interpretations” of various techniques within the syllabus. These alternate options are given as options when they arise, and do not take away from the Krav Maga philosophy itself, which is what our program teaches at its core.
Is it aligned with a particular organization or association?
Yes, all rank awarded is recognized and accredited through the Global Martial Arts Association, the Association of Martial Artists World Wide, as well as various local and national training centers. If you are looking to receive a certification or ranking through a specific group – then you must contact them directly. If you are purely interested in mastering the art itself, improving yourself, and earning accredited rank as you progress – then our course will be a good fit.
Do I need a partner to participate in the Krav Maga distance training program?
Yes. You can practice and learn many techniques on your own. But in order to take the rank exam, you will need a partner to help you demonstrate your requirements. Also, to show a true level of proficiency, consistent practice with a training partner is a necessity. Krav Maga is a contact art, you literally need contact practice in order to learn and perfect the concepts.
Will my certificate state that it was earned “online” or through “home study”?
No. Certificates issued are the same as those awarded to physical training students. This is because we have the same syllabus, testing requirements, and student standards in our home study course. Since you are not physically attending classes, you will need to put in extra work and have a much higher level of self-discipline in order to advance.
Can I transfer in previous rank/certifications from a different Krav Maga organization?
Yes. We have a test-in procedure where you can keep your current rank. As an example, let us assume that John Doe, who holds a green belt rank/level 2 rank in Krav Maga from XYZ Krav Maga wants to transfer in.
- You will scan and email us a copy of your level 1 and level 2 certificates.
- You will film yourself demonstrating all level 1 and level 2 material in our curriculum, and pay the transfer-in review fee of $85 (this covers the instructor’s time and energy in doing a detailed evaluation in testing you into our system). This will allow us to confirm that you are level 2.
- You will then be officially ranked as Level 2 in our association, and you can start training toward level 3.
Is there a minimum wait between rank exams? What is the average time between each exam?
There is no “forced wait” in our program. But, we do require students to document their training/practice sessions in the Online Student Journal, which can be found on the Student Area of our website. We require for you to train a minimum number of hours and to document each practice session in your student journal before you take an exam. We do this for a few reasons:
- It allows us to keep tabs on your progress, practice schedule, and training time. As your instructors, we are more in the loop, just as we would be if you attended physical classes with us.
- The minimum training hours are designed so that you get enough repetitions; create real muscle memory, and instinctual movement. It is not enough to just “know how to do a technique” or “know the pattern of a kata” – but to execute these motions in a complete state of being and presence. Sufficient, documented practice will get you there.
- We want to maintain high standards of excellence and expectations, so that you training, progress, and ranking is up to par to a krav maga student from a physical gym.
Minimum Training Hours
- Yellow Belt/Level 1 Certification – 48 hours, approx. 4 months (if you train three hours per week)
- Orange Belt/Level 2 Certification – 72 hours, approx. 6 months
- Green Belt/Level 3 Certification – 72 hours, approx. 6 months
- Blue Belt/Level 4 Certification – 108 hours, approx. 9 months
- Brown Belt/Level 5 Certification – 108 hours, approx. 9 months
- Black Belt/Level 6 Certification – 144 hours, approx. 12 months. Invitation required. The black belt test will be scheduled as an in-person exam.
Time between rank exams and time to reach black belt vary student-by-student. It depends on how much time you dedicate to your karate training each week and your training intensity. If you train more often, you can clearly advance at a more rapid pace.
Can my partner (or family members) also take a rank exam and become certified?
Yes! Any additional family member or friend can register as an official student for just $50, which also includes a digital copy of the manual for them, and a student patch. This makes them eligible to take rank exams. There is no need to buy two sets of DVDs or two complete courses. This is the best scenario, if you have someone that you can train with consistently. Your family member/friend will need to pay the rank exam fee as well, to be qualified for grading and actual certification.
Is there a cost for testing? What does the rank exam fee include?
Yes. Rank exams are $70 each for levels 1-3, and $90 each for levels 4-6. The fee covers the time and energy that your instructor takes out working with you and grading your exam. Your instructor will take out a good chunk of time to study your exam, grade it, make detailed notes, and work back and forth with you in communication. Your instructor will also film a personalized feedback video for you! He’ll demonstrate some of your errors, go over tips, corrections, guidance, and anything that will help you improve. The fee also covers us mailing you the certificate of rank.
How can I earn real rank in krav maga online?
Meet Your Instructor
Michael South is a black belt Krav Maga instructor and has been a student of the martial arts for over ten years. He also holds black belts in Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido. He began teaching martial arts professionally six years ago and is the founder of National Martial Arts, an Oklahoma-based martial arts organization dedicated to making the world a better and safer place. He specializes in Krav Maga instruction and is an avid student of BJJ at the moment, as well as a competitor. He earned his Krav Maga black belt from Dustin Koppel, who earned his black belt from John Gabriel, who earned his black belt from Darren Levine, who earned his black belt from Imi Lichtenfeld.
Who Trains with Our Courses
The great thing about our home study courses is that, not only will you be learning and progressing with a structured curriculum, but you can also earn real rank and credentials! We currently have hundreds or martial artists around the world using our courses. Here are some examples of students who train with our course.
- Individuals who have trained in martial arts in the past, but have taken some time off. (Our Courses offer an opportunity to pick back up where they left off on their own schedule, or learn a new discipline)
- Current students training in martial arts, who are looking to learn something new. (If you are currently training in Karate, for example, but you would like to master a new art such as Krav Maga or Bo)
- Martial Arts instructors and school owners. (Wanting to learn a new art, and even become a Certified Instructor in one of our programs, to have something new and exciting to teach their students).
- Anyone who wants to “feel like a white belt again.” (Whether you have earned several black belts, or just have aspirations to get there, our courses give you the change to start a new journey, and reach a new goal).
- Individuals who are too busy to attend regularly scheduled classes, or that do not have a training facility near by. (Our courses can be used anywhere, as long as you have the desire and dedication to train)
Read Some Real Reviews
“After taking Krav Maga classes for about seven months and then a break, I noticed this set of DVDs and thought to purchase it so that I could continue my training and maintain my skills. I’m very pleased with the program and believe it would be suitable for anyone looking to learn about Krav Maga, continue their Krav training or improve their physical condition.
Each movement or technique is clearly demonstrated and from multiple angles. The instructor also shows how to practice the technique as well as demonstrates its practical application.
Additionally, if you want to improve your cardio and physical conditioning then the prgram will help with that as well which is vital if you plan to take Krav Maga classes.
Again, I am very pleased with my decision to purchase this program and highly recommend it for personal training or as a compliment to taking instructor led classes.“
“This is an excellent Krav Maga DVD set. The 5 disk set contains all of the information and necessary step by step instructions to learn Krav Maga. The think I like the most is the ability to rewind and watch the techniques over and over.
You will learn combatives, weapons defense and much more….. Highly recommended course!“
I am a retired Deputy Sheriff and very familiar with self defense techniques! I honestly have to say, in my opinion that the Total Krav Maga Home Study dvd’s are the best out there! The techniques are shown from various angles with clear explanations for each one. They are presented in an easy to understand format. Anyone can do them. My 13yr old daughter and 9yr old son follow the program along with me! If you are looking for a no nonsense, straight to the point, self defense system, that thoroughly explains all techniques from various camera angles, this is the program to choose. One major bonus is, you can practice in the privacy of your own home with your family. Remember, “A Family That Kicks Together, Sticks Together” Best Wishes!!!”
“I bought the DVD set awhile back and I can say it was really helpful and informative! I’m a US Marine and on my down time, I practice with a few of the guys. Sensei Hodge is really descriptive and performs each technique in both normal and slow speeds so your mind can really grasp the concepts. For each technique, he explains the uses and different ways you can practice it before moving on to another technique so it gives you time to fully grasp each move at your own pace. The best part is that not only are you learning the execution of the deadly fighting force of Krav Maga, but you can actually earn rank in the style straight from the instructor. I would highly recommend this DVD set to anyone who wants to practice this style!”
-Lance Corporal Stephen Diaz, USMC
“Great product for the price. He steps you through the movement and gives you examples of exercises you should do to reinforce your learning. He also does a good job of emphasizing that the purpose is to be defensive in nature. This is assuredly not a replacement for taking a course if you are really serious about training in Krav Maga but it does cover a lot of detail. If you are willing to put in the time to practice then I am certain you will be rewarded with a level of preparedness.”
“Ordered the DVDs and am very happy with my purchase. I’ve tried other follow along courses on DVD before and some are not very user friendly and are hard to grasp all the presented info. Not the case with this DVD set, the instructor does an awesome job breaking down each technique into very easily managed and understandable slices or sections. The material covered is great and you get quite a bit of info over the five dvds not just the same concepts rehashed over and over. Material is well organized also which greatly helps. I would order it again in a heart beat. Keep up the good work. Train Hard.”