Creating Good Balance in Karate-Do

Front Page Forums Complete Shotokan Karate Creating Good Balance in Karate-Do

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jon Hodge
    Keymaster

Working on the Kata “Forms” is a great way to improve balance, endurance and overall strength of you body. Of course one need to pay attention in having proper stances and good posture throughout the Kata. Start slow and work toward increasing your workout routines slowly. If you need help creating a workout routine, let me know and I will help.

michaellee1983
    Participant

I am looking forward to starting this program. I have ordered the first disc to try it out. I started the Krav Maga program last week but I’ve mainly found myself just doing the workouts due to my partner working silly hours. I originally started out in Martial Arts with Submission wrestling & MMA but I suffered a back injury in training in 2010 & as a result I can’t do the grappling without being in discomfort for the rest of the week. I have since become disillusioned with MMA & the type of people it seems to attract these days & have found myself being drawn to traditional martial arts instead & I am looking forward to starting Karate training with your program.

Jon Hodge
    Keymaster

Hello Michaellee1983 and Welcome to the Shotokan Program. Indeed in our system we are working on balance and harmony in our life. It is through balance and harmony of your mind, body, spirit and emotions that true power is found and used for your highest good and the highest good of all others. Complete Shotokan Karate does give on a balanced training system to help one create the inner strength within them that can be translated into what ever level of being needed to protect yourself and others. Not to say that you can not do the same in others systems that have a more aggressive nature to them. I do believe that one must be balanced in all that they do or your life situation can get difficult. I have survived many tough fights over the years fighting opponents that were much better fighters than me. I owe this to being able to command presence in the moment even in the face of what seems to be a larger force than myself. I owe this personal power to the countless hours of training within the Spirit of Karate-Do.

michaellee1983
    Participant

Thank you Sensei Jon, the DVD’s came in the post today so I am going to start the Karate in the morning. The DVD’s are excellent quality. I’m going to have a go at the Beginners Chuks DVD tonight. I was sent the Beginners Bo DVD by mistake instead of the Advanced Single Chuks but it’s okay because I still need to work through the Beginners Chuks DVD. Also my 4 year old daughter is obsessed with Ninja turtles and has a toy Bo so she is going to have fun with the Bo DVD.

Thanks again

Jeff Jones
    Participant

Love this post!

I’ve been in Seattle for the past few months, and due to limited space, have been unable to complete full kata. This being said, I often practice many of my moves in my small hotel room, and I’m finding it helps my balance/coordination tremendously! I’m back home in Montana, right now, and am beginning to make more time for my training. I was in a car accident when I was 17– the result of which was impaired balance and coordination. Making time every day, even if that’s just in my room practicing a few of the moves, seems to be helping. Kata helps me in a lot of ways other than just the next belt test. It is a form of meditation and simply emptying my mind, important in all aspects of life, and helps balance all kinds of aspects in everyday life. Even when I can’t do anything else, practicing a few moves here and there (I’ve even done it in the back seat of my car!) often re-centers me and helps me empty my mind and refocus. I will be in Seattle again for much of next month, and plan on continuing this discipline. Kata– and martial arts as a whole– is a wonderful tool to balance one’s life around. The goal isn’t to get the next belt. I can order a belt online, post it on Fb, and have that be and ends in and of itself. Having a tool to center around all I do, and let that manifest and become my goal, is a much better means to base my time and effort around. Thank you for your help in what’s becoming more than just self-defense! Letting my life be testimony to what I’ve learned is much more important than what rank I am.

michaellee1983
    Participant

I’ve just finished my first Shotokan Karate lesson and I am impressed with the level of instruction. It is really helpful to see the techniques practised from different angles and the techniques are broken down and explained very clearly. I have quite poor coordination when it comes to learning sequences such as Kata so being able to just put in the DVD and practice while learning at my own pace without worrying about exasperating the instructor is ideal for me. Thank you for the time and effort you have put into producing the course and I look forward to enrolling in the full course in the near future.

Kind Regards,
    Michael UK

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.