Cross strikes

Front Page Forums Ultimate Bo Cross strikes

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    actordaddy
    Participant

Hi folks,
    I am currently studying the Brown Chevron material and I can’t find an example of cross strikes in ‘Sparring Bo’- any advice?

GMAU
    Keymaster

I apologize for the confusion and exclusion on that. The cross strike is a down 45 degree or shallower strike; starting from a higher guard position coming down to the opponent’s neck, temple, or shoulder. It continues all the way to the staff finishing past your left hip (assuming you started on a high right side guard. This is properly defended with a “corner block.”

The new version of Ultimate Bo debuting later this year will have a much expanded sparring and kumite section, to better approach, train, explain, and understand the concept of staff on staff combat; or even staff on similar weaponry situations. Our purpose in Ultimate Bo sparring is less on realistic weapons defense (as it is the 21st century), and more on fluidity based training, such as that found in kendo practice.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by GMAU.
    Dick R.
    Participant

I’m new to Ultimate Bo. Would it be a good idea, in addition to the description posted above, to post a video of the cross strike?

GMAU
    Keymaster

Here is a quick video I made demonstrating the “Cross Strike” – from the Brown Chevron level, Sparring Techniques curriculum. I hope this helps! -Sensei Michael

actordaddy
    Participant

Thanks Michael,
    that is very clear – I like them.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.