Psychology of Katas

Front Page Forums Complete Shotokan Karate Psychology of Katas

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jon Hodge
    Keymaster

It can be said the the essence of the Kata should blossom from the center of your soul. You actually become the Kata within “no thought” and demonstrates the essence of spirit and being. This is a powerful state of being in the moment. It take dedication, focus and concentration over many years of training to master a true state of internal power. So if you think of Kata in these terms I describe, Yes, the Kata is a relative reflection of an individuals spirit and much more.

It can be said that one does progress and makes a Kata their own within Mastery. First we ask the student to learn a specific style and demonstrate to the best of there ability this style through the Kata. Normally from white belt to 1st degree black belt we like to see the Kata like we teach it taking into consideration the students ability or handicaps if any exist. From 1st black to 3rd black we like to complete a Mastery of the Kata and develop a firm understanding of training and teaching others the style being taught. From 3rd degree black belt and beyond a student can begin to create their own Kata adding techniques and so forth. Most instructors find it challenging enough to just teach the essence of the original style.

actordaddy
    Participant

Thanks Jon,
    this is a good description of the Shu Ha Ri training concept. I am just at the beginning of Ri. Incidentally do you have plans for a program beyond first Dan in the Shotokan program?

Jon Hodge
    Keymaster

Yes, we have scheduled three important new systems for the Shotokan program. (1) An instructor Certification program. (2) A Masters program for certification beyond 1st dan. (Currently I work with individuals that contact me wanting to test for 2nd dan and higher adn test them as needed) (3) A complete set of training classes for each level of development.

So we have some very exciting new realeases and changes to upgrade and improve our systems.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by Jon Hodge.
    actordaddy
    Participant

That’s good news. I am enjoying the current program immensely and it would be good to keep on with it. It is interesting learning different versions of familiar Kata.
    Heian Shodan is Pinan Nidan in the Wado Ryu system and they are very different both in detail and in feel.
    I have found the style you teach has improved my Wado version of the Kata.
    I am now doing a subtle hybrid version.
    I am curious about the applications you teach for the various parts of the Kata – some are self evident in the Ippon Kumite section of course.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.